Wall Street closed mixed amid Coronavirus potential outbreak
US indices opened the day on a positive note, but erased most of the gains as the markets opened. Netflix reported disappointing earnings and crashed 3.5%, IBM on the other hand, beat analyst expectations and jumped 3%. The NSDQ100 closed the day 0.14% higher, the DJ30 just 0.03%, and the SPX500 rose by 0.03%.
Today’s highlights: Crypto market retraces, Chinese stocks plummet
- Crypto continues to dip: As Bitcoin slowly retraces on the spike to $9K (now trades at $8,400-$8,500 range), altcoins followed the movement and edged lower as well. DASH is down 3.67% today and fighting to stay on the $100 support line, Ethereum and XRP are both down 2.65%, and IOTA has retraced by as much 5.6%.
- Asia returns to the red: Asian markets shrugged off yesterday’s rally attempt as Coronavirus continued to spread and claim victims. Xiaomi’s stock is being sold off especially hard – down 6.2% since markets opened. China50 is down 3.10%, HKG50 is down 1.95% and the JPN225 is down by 1%.
- Tesla isn’t braking: The electric car manufacturer got a price hike to $550 by Wedbush analyst Dan Ives, but the stock didn’t stop there, and ran right through to close at $569.56, registering another 4% gain.
- European markets mixed: All European indices trade lower today on Coronavirus concerns. UK100 is down 0.6%, the FRA40 0.65% and the GER30 is down 0.43%.
- Volatility expected for the EUR: The European Central Bank will deliver its latest monetary policy statement today at 12:45 GMT, followed by a press conference at 1:30 GMT.
- eToro nominated for ProductHunt: We are proud to share with you that we have been nominated for ProductHunt 2019 annual awards in the Crypto category. We hope you will take a minute of your time to upvote us.
Stocks earnings releases on 23/01/2020
Stocks earnings releases on 24/01/2020
Earnings season continues: To follow upcoming earnings reports, go to eToro’s Earnings Reports Calendar. Please note that maximum leverage for CFD stocks will be limited to X5 one day ahead of earnings report releases. X10 leverage will be available again soon after the report is published.